Ultraviolet water filters offer convenient and safe water solutions. These systems utilize UV disinfection to destroy bacteria and other microorganisms.
They are ideal in removing microorganisms and may not be effective in removing dissolved impurities. The water purifiers come with amazing features ensuring safe water for domestic use.
In this piece, we will look at the best UV water filter for well water or rain water in the market today. Feel free to read along to get important information on these water purifiers.
- Best UV Filter for Well Water Review
- 1. Viqua VH410 Home Stainless Steel UltraViolet Water
- 2. Pelican Water AMZ-PUV-14 14 GPM UV Whole House Water Treatment.
- 3. Vitapur 15.8 GPM Ultraviolet Disinfection System Water
- 4. Aquasana UV Filter
- 4. Springwell UV Purifier.
- 5. Crystal Quest Ultraviolet water sterilizer system
- 6. SteriPen Adventurer Opti UV: best UV water purifier for travel
- 7. Viqua D4 UV Water Purification System
- 8. HQUA-OWS-12 Ultraviolet Water Purifier
- 9. Express Water Ultraviolet Reverse osmosis Water Filtration System
- 10. Bluonics 110W UV Ultraviolet Well Water Filter
- Things to Consider When Choosing a Portable Water Purifier.
- Benefits of using a UV water filter
- Things to consider before getting a UV filter for well water
- How do UV Water Treatment systems Work?
- Parts of a UV Water Treatment System.
- Things to look for When Buying a UV Water Treatment System
- Pros and cons of UV Water Purification systems
- How to Maintain UV Water Purification Systems
- How to install a UV filter for well water
- FAQs UV Water Filters
Best UV Filter for Well Water Review
1. Viqua VH410 Home Stainless Steel UltraViolet Water
- ULTRAVIOLET DISINFECTION SYSTEM: The Viqua VH410 utlizes UltraViolet light to combat waterborne...
Its designs incorporate strong and long-lasting materials along the system to function under different conditions of pressure, temperature, and pH. The system comes with replacement parts and its warranty covers up to ten years on UV chamber. VH410 is compact and lightweight weighing around 17 pounds.
- Dimensions: 22.25 x 9.13 x 9.5 inches.
- Model: VH410.
- Weight: 17 Pounds.
- Purification Method: Ultraviolet.
- Handling capacity: 10 gallons per minute.
- Voltage: 120 Volts.
- Colour: Stainless Steel Finish.
- Warranty: 10 years.
What I like
- They assure high flow rates.
- Its installation and maintenance are straightforward.
- They are compact hence they don’t consume a lot of space and allows you to easily carry them around,
- The system is efficient in the elimination of harmful microorganisms.
- It is ideal for supplying the whole house with clean and safe water.
What I Don’t like
- Not effective in removing dissolved impurities.
- You need to accompany the system with other filters this might cost you an extra coin.
Viqua VH410 home stainless steel UV water filter incorporates amazing features making water safe for domestic use.
2. Pelican Water AMZ-PUV-14 14 GPM UV Whole House Water Treatment.
No products found.Pelican Water AMZ-PUV-14 is a whole house water purifier system capable of fourteen gallons per minute utilizing UV rays in the disinfection process. It has a 9-16 GPM peaking rate adding no taste nor color in the purification process. The filter can kill up to 99.9% of water microorganisms.
Measuring 8.89 x 8.89 x 59.69 cm the system comes with durable silver finishing hence it can serve you for the longest time possible. You must replace the UV lamp annually to continue enjoying pure and safe water at your home.
- Manufacturer: Enviro Water Solutions.
- Measurements: 8.89 x 8.89 x 59.69 cm.
- Net Weight: 4.7 kg
- Material: Silver finish
- Flow Peak: 9 – 16 GPM.
- Model: AMZ-PUV-14
- Water Consumptions: 14 gallons per minute.
- Warranty: three years. plus 10 years on UV chamber
What I Like
- It uses no chemicals in the process.
- The system is convenient and effective in assuring water safety.
- Ideal for large families.
- Easy to install and operate
- Comes with everything recurred for setting up
What I Don’t Like
- The system is not useful during power outages.
- There have been complaints about water heating up during filtration.
- It can only eliminate microorganisms leaving behind other dissolved contaminants.
Pelican Water AMZ-PUV-14 whole home water filter is one of the top water purifiers in the market today ensuring that your water is pure and safe thanks to its outstanding features.
3. Vitapur 15.8 GPM Ultraviolet Disinfection System Water
No products found.Vitapur 15.8 GPM is an ideal UV disinfector for well use. The system uses mercury to produce UV-C wavelength a powerful element in the destruction of bacteria and other microorganisms inhabiting the well water. In the process, UV light alters the DNA of these organisms hindering their reproduction.
It produces a non-invasive UV light hence no element is added to the water during purification The UV lamp has a lifespan of around 9000 hours or roughly twelve months and should be replaced after the service period for perfect performance and continued service.
- Colour: White.
- Certifications: CSA and NSF Certified
- Dimensions: 9.02 by 19.88 by 9.02 inches
- Weight: 6.6 pounds.
- Warranty: one year limited.
- Water consumption: 15.8 gallons per minute
- Its maintenance cost is low as it only requires an annual replacement of a worn-out UV lamp.
- The system is environmentally friendly.
- They are energy efficient.
- It is NSF tested and certified.
- The filters offer long-lasting water purification solutions.
- Its installation is somehow technical and you may require the services of a technician.
- Complains over system leakage.
- The system is not efficient in removing other water impurities and you may need to buy other purification solutions for proper functioning.
Though its installation is a bit tricky, the Vitapur 15.8 GPM ultraviolet disinfection system is an outstanding water filter allowing households to enjoy safe water over a long period saving on the cost of operation.
4. Aquasana UV Filter
- Clean, Great Tasting Water From Every Tap In Your Home - Removes 97% of chlorine, 99.9% of viruses...
- Size: 1,000,000 Gallon
- Warranty: 10-year limited warranty.
- Model: EQ-1000-AST-UV-AMZN.
- Weight: 10.18 pounds.
- Dimensions: 9 x 46 x 69 inches.
- Colour: Blue.
- Flow Rate: 7 Gallons Per Minute
- The system is long-lasting and incorporates anti-clog features.
- It makes your water clean safe for drinking and other domestic use.
- They eliminate wastewater thanks to its salt-free descaling.
- The system is efficient and controls limescale while retaining useful minerals
- Setting up the system is somehow technical and may require the services of a professional.
- Its initial cost is high.
Aquasana UV filter is a cost-effective water purifier that comes with great features and a top-grade installation kit and serving your home for a long period.
4. Springwell UV Purifier.
It utilizes the latest active technology throughout in its functionality and requires no electricity while running Handling up to nine gallons of water per minute the filter is capable of purifying close to 1000000 gallons and can remove hard water from water.
- Capacity: 15 GPM.
- Temperature Range: 36-120 F.
- Flow Rate: 9 Gallons Per Minute
- Warranty: 3-year warranty.
- Size: 1000000 Gallons.
- Material: Stainless Steel.
- Pressure: 10-150 PSI
- High performance.
- Energy efficiency.
- The system offers a great water purifying solution giving the water a great test.
- Easy to set up and operate.
- The system is affordable.
- It can eliminate hard metals.
- It is not highly efficient in the elimination of water contaminates.
If you are looking for an ultraviolent filter that combines the latest technology in eliminating both harmful microorganisms. then Springwell UV Purifier provides all the solutions you are looking for.
5. Crystal Quest Ultraviolet water sterilizer system
The manufacturer designs this purifier with long-lasting material to affirm long service, Its UV lamps like in many ultraviolet purifying systems last for 9000 hours and needs to be replaced annually for the filter to work correctly.
- Net Weight: 2.05 pounds.
- Dimensions: 11.6 x 6.3 x 4.7 inches.
- Model: CQ-UV-1GPM.
- Lamp Lifespan: 9000 hours.
- Flow rate: one gallon per minute
- Easy to install and run.
- The system is excellent in removing water infesting microorganisms like bacteria.
- Energy efficiency.
- Low maintenance cost.
- It is compact hence it doesn’t need lots of space.
- It can remove other dissolved contaminants.
- The system only runs on electricity meaning that it is not useful when there is a power outage.
- You need to buy other filters to obtain fresh and clean water making the initial cost high.
- Not ideal for large families.
Measuring 11.6 x 6.3 x 4.7 inches, Crystal Quest ultraviolet water sterilizer system gives its peers a run for their money as the system is designed to maximize on its unique capability in proving homes with safe water.
6. SteriPen Adventurer Opti UV: best UV water purifier for travel
- Compact handheld UV water purifier designed specifically for outdoor/expedition use; Reusable for up...
The package includes a SteriPEN Adventurer Opti, a neoprene carrying case with belt loop and two disposable CR123 batteries. This system assures efficiency and low cost of operation and its main advantage is that it’s portable
- Measurement: 9 x 8.25 x 2.25 inches.
- Batteries Type: 1 CR123A.
- Weight: 3.8 ounces.
- Colour: Black.
- Warranty: Three years of limited warranty.
- It is portable allowing you to easily carry it around.
- They come with two rechargeable batteries.
- The filter is designed with durable materials.
- This item includes a neoprene carry case protecting the filter and allowing users to easily travel with the filter.
It may not be effective on a cloudy day.
SteriPen Adventurer Opti UV water filter is a uniquely designed portable filter allowing you to access safe drinking water even when traveling.
7. Viqua D4 UV Water Purification System
This filter comes with a low-pressure, high-output pump to ensure the water comes out of the well. It also has a safety cap and lamp plug, which prevents unsafe access to its UV lamp. The D4 produces adequate UV light to combat any waterborne pathogens.
What I Like
- Comes with a safety cap and lamp plug
- Works effectively
- Has a compact design
- Easy to install
What I don’t Like
- A bit pricey
8. HQUA-OWS-12 Ultraviolet Water Purifier
- 40W 12GPM unit, 37.2*2.5 in stainless steel chamber, 3/4” (DH20, OD 1.05 inch, 26.67cm) MNPT...
Interestingly, it features simple construction, which makes installation quite easy. There’s no need to look for a plumber to begin enjoying its benefits. It is also made of a stainless steel chamber, which is not only safe but also reliable. It also doesn’t alter the taste of your water.
What I Like about hqua
- Does not alter the taste and color of the water
- Safe and reliable
- Has a 12 GPM flow rate
- Easy to install
What I Don’t Like
- You may need to pre-treat your water
9. Express Water Ultraviolet Reverse osmosis Water Filtration System
- Trust your water again - Powerful UV Filtration
Besides, it features an easy design, which makes it easy for you to install without necessarily calling a plumber. This filter also automatically fills your water tank, and it comes with a 1-year warranty.
What I Like
- Includes a 1-year warranty
- Automatically refills your water tank
- Easy to install
- Removes harmful pathogens and other contaminants to improve the quality after testing the water.
- Combines UV and Reverse osmosis
What I Don’t Like
- The filter housings are not clear, especially when filtering out water with plenty of sediments
10. Bluonics 110W UV Ultraviolet Well Water Filter
- Replacement filter package for this system is Amazon item B071GJL7KJ
It is fitted with UV bulbs, standard size filters, ballasts, and inlet/outlets with a complete well water filtration system that has quart sleeves. The filter follows a three-stage filtration system to ensure that it eliminates all contaminants, ranging from large debris to microorganisms.
What I Like
- Has a three-stage filtration system
- An impressive flow rate of 24 GPM
- The UV lamp light has a life of 9,000 hours
What I Don’t Like
- Relatively expensive
Things to Consider When Choosing a Portable Water Purifier.
Portable water purifiers are very efficient and allow you to carry them around as you enjoy safe water. There are several factors to consider when choosing a portable water purifier. Here are some things to consider when buying water filters in this category.
The water purification system is designed with different electric consumption rates. Energy-efficient filters save on cost and time. Before buying a purifier you should settle for an efficient tool.
It is important to consider your pocket capabilities when buying a water filter. These babies come with different price tags. If you are working on a budget it makes sense to settle on a water purifier within your financial muscle
Consider your water consumption.
It is important to consider your household water consumption rates. For large families, you should consider settling for a filter with high handling capacity.
Operation and maintenance.
The cost of operation and maintenance of water filters vary depending on the model. Though the maintenance and operation cost of UV purifiers is relative it may cost you an extra coin to run other brands.
Benefits of using a UV water filter
When you get yourself the best UV filter for well water, you should expect a couple of advantages over traditional water filtration techniques. Let us have a look at some of them.
- Environmental friendly – A notable advantage of UV filters is that they don’t rely on chemicals to purify water, making them quite environmentally friendly.
- They are safe – UV filters also won’t harm your health because their purification process does not rely on chemicals, and they don’t release any harmful by-products.
- Compatibility – You’ll be glad to know that UV water purification systems are compatible with other filter systems. Therefore, you can combine them to improve the quality of your water.
- Easy to maintain – Also, these filters don’t present you with tedious maintenance tasks. Mostly, you’re only required to replace UV bulbs.
- Eliminate all types of microorganisms – Intriguingly, UV filters are effective sterilizing systems, and they get rid of any potentially harmful microorganisms. Besides, bacteria cannot develop resistance to ultraviolet light.
Things to consider before getting a UV filter for well water
When you venture into the market to get yourself a UV water filter, you need to consider several factors. By doing so, you ensure to get yourself the best product available. Let’s have a look at the crucial factors.
Determine flow rates
You need to consider the flow rate because all UV filters include a GPM rating, which determines the amount of water that can flow through your system. It’s wise to get a filter whose flow rate matches up to your system. The larger, the better.
Determine how much water you use
What do you use your well water for? How many people in your household use the well water? These are crucial questions to ask to ensure you select the right UV filter. You need to get the right size of the UV system based on your water consumption needs for effective treatment.
Installation and space requirements
Before making your UV filter purchase, you need to consider your space requirements. Some systems are more compact than others, while others require to be installed in a particular fashion. Make sure to get a system that will fit in the space you have
How do UV Water Treatment systems Work?
UV water treatment systems work in a straightforward manner. Water is purified as it goes through the quartz sleeve which connects water with the UV lamp. The ultraviolet light kills all pathogens present in the water. The process is chemical-free hence the water is safe.
The system is environmentally friendly as it doesn’t emit any carbon. UV filters are very efficient and can eliminate even chlorine resisting microorganisms in the process. UV light destroys the DNA of bacteria and other microorganisms present in water blocking their reproduction.
Its efficiency score is at 99.9%. In the next section, we will take you through the main parts of a UV water purifier looking at their features and functions. Read along to familiarize yourself with different parts of the water treatment system.
Parts of a UV Water Treatment System.
An ultraviolet water filter has four main parts; they include a reactor chamber, a UV lamp, quartz sleeve and a controller unit or ballast. Besides the four parts, the filters also come with solenoid valves and a sensor as additional parts.
1. The Reactor Chamber
The reactor chamber is the main part of the filter containing the UV lamp and quartz sleeve. It is instrumental in controlling the flow of water. Different manufacturers build the reactor in different shapes and materials but stainless steel is the most common material meaning that they are durable.
2. The UV Lamp
An ultraviolet lamp is a critical part of the filter as it emits the germicidal UV-C, a wavelength of the UV light. The lamp contains mercury, this element is important in the formation of UV-C. Germicidal wavelength is produced once a drop of mercury reaches the cold spot or when the peak temperature.
The lamp operates like a regular light bulb and uses the filaments in producing an electrical current useful in heating mercury. Hot mercury then evaporates into the air in the lamp forming electrical arcs producing UV-C at varying intensity.
Today, there are three different versions of UV lamps, they include:
3. Low-pressure amalgam lamps
They utilize mercury amalgam combination in controlling vapor pressure. Its process is a bit different and it produces three times the amount of UV-C produced in an average low-pressure UV lamp. These systems are mostly used for commercial applications.
4. Standard Low-pressure UV lamps
Standard Low-pressure UV lamps are ideal for residential use or generally for application where the water flow rate is low. The operation and buying cost is relatively low when compared to other types of UV lamps.
5. High Output (HO) Low-pressure UV lamps
Mostly used where a high dosage is required HO UV lamps are very efficient. They are widely affected by temperature in matters performance. High output lamps are ideal for light commercial applications.
6. The Quartz Sleeve.
Moving on, the quartz sleeve is a glass tube uniquely designed to protect the UV lamp by barring direct contact of electricity and water. The lamp transmits UV light into the water through the quartz sleeve.
Fouling occurs due to presents of naturally occurring minerals in the water there it is important to clean the sleeve for the system to work correctly.
7. The Controller Unit
The controller unit is the controlling part of the system. Its main function is to control the lamp’s electrical output and triggers the production of UV-C wavelength. Depending on the type of filter, controllers varies, some are complex while others are simple.
Different parts of a UV water filter are designed to perform different functions but they collaborate to ensure a smooth flow of operation. It is important to replace your UV lamp with the right lamp in order to enjoy clean and safe water at your home.
Things to look for When Buying a UV Water Treatment System
Before buying there is a couple of things to keep in mind. Doing ensure that you settle on the best water treatment system for your needs. So what do you consider when buying a UV water filter? This system will help you in answering this question. Here are things to look for when buying these treatment systems.
Source of the water.
The source of water determines the location of the UV water filter. In well water, for instance, you need to install the system after installing other purifying systems while you only need a UV water filter if you getting water from a treated source.
Flow rate determines the time a particle is exposed to UV light. Most filters are perfectly designed to allow maximum dosage but you must ensure you settle for the right system. The market is filled with different types so it is important to ensure you settle for an ideal system.
The wattage in these systems varies. Systems with high wattage are very efficient compared to those with low wattage. Depending on your budget, you can settle on a system the suits your needs.
Portable systems allow you to easily carry them around. Compact systems also save spaces as they don’t need huge storage space. Though UV filters are generally compact they come in different sizes.
Pros and cons of UV Water Purification systems
Like everything else, UV water filter systems have pros and cons. In this section, we will look at some pros and cons of these water purification solutions. Shall we?
- The system doesn’t use chemicals in the water purification process and only utilizes ultraviolet light in eliminating pathogens.
- Eliminates bad tastes and odors making well water and rainwater safe as drinking water.
- Low maintenance cost as you only need to replace the lamp annually.
- They are energy efficient as they consume the same amount of energy as a 60-watt light bulb and don’t emit carbon hence they are environmentally friendly.
- Needs electricity to operate and is greatly affected by a power outage.
- It can’t function when the water is not clear meaning you need other purifying solutions to accompany the system.
- They only eliminate microorganisms hence they are not effective in removing dissolved contaminants.
- It is hard to tell if the system is working or not as the UV light is invisible.
How to Maintain UV Water Purification Systems
There are many practices of ensuring the system is properly functioning. Best maintenance practices mean that you will enjoy a constant supply of safe water in your home for the longest time possible for the filters are built to last for several years.
Here are some of the best maintenance practices for a UV water purification system
Replace the UV Lamp Annually
The lifespan of the UV lamp varies depending on the model of the filter but on average these lamps last for at least one year. A UV lamp is a very important part of an ultraviolet water filter as it emits UV rays for the purification process.
UV lamps can’t emit the rays after their lifespan is over meaning that the filter won’t function properly. Replacing the lamp annually not only assures the proper functioning of the filter but also keep your household safe from harmful water bacteria.
Monitor the System’s Performance Regularly
Ultraviolet water filters don’t come with monitoring features, you are therefore required to monitor their performance on regular basis. Monitoring can be done by checking on the water taste and color to ascertain the proper functioning of the purifier. A slight change in taste or color indicates that there is a problem in the process.
Clean the Quartz Sleeve
A quartz sleeve is the transparent glass tube through which germicidal UV wavelengths transmit into the water allowing its disinfection. They are perfectly designed to allow the passage of UV rays hence the glass needs to remain transparent for the filter to perform correctly.
Other than allowing the transmission of the rays, quartz sleeve plays an important role in hindering the contact of water and electricity. This ensures safety as water can transmit electricity leading to electrocution.
Cleaning the sleeve regularly ensures the system functions perfectly. When the tube is not clean the UV-C radiation can’t transmit through therefore hindering the disinfection process. Calcium, magnesium, and other minerals present in hard water are notorious for the blockage of the transmission of the rays through the formation of scale on the sleeve.
Monitor the System’s UV Dosage Regularly
UV dosage is the measurement of the amount of germicidal light absorbed by a particle passing through the system. Dosage is critical in the protection of the system. For maximum protection, the dosage needs to be high. The most common unit of measurement in millijoules (mJ).
A system that doesn’t deliver maximum UV dose can’t guarantee a high level of system protection. It is important to note that the system dosage is affected by several factors; they include water flow rate, lamp intensity, water quality, and fouling.
Here is a highlight of how each factor impacts the dosage.
Water flow rate
Water flow rate determines the length of time a particle is exposed to ultraviolet light. The faster the flow rate the shorter the exposure time meaning lower system dosage. A good UV filter comes with a water flow restrictor to ensure the ideal flow rates for maximum dosage.
The type of lamp technology affects the measurement of light emission by the lamp per unit in relation to the lamp’s surface area, lamp intensity. The higher the lamp intensity, the high the system dosage hence higher protection. Understanding the lamp’s intensity helps us understand the performance of the system.
A quartz sleeve insulates the UV lamp separating it from water hindering direct contact. The sleeves get clogged over time due formation of a coat thanks to minerals present in the water. This eventually affects the functionality of the system. The higher the level of fouling lowers the UV dose hence lowering the protection.
How to install a UV filter for well water
Settling on the Wattage of the Filter
Filters with high wattage assure water safety as they are effective in killing bacteria but will cost you an extra coin. It makes sense to be safe and spending an extra coin on a high wattage water filter than risking on a low wattage UV filter.
Step 2: Picking the position for the filter
These other tools are useful in the purification process. The 5-micron filter for instance eliminates all forms of water impurity with diameters larger than 5 microns. If your water comes from a treated source then, a UV filter is enough.
Step 3: Building a reliable plumbing system
Copper is the best choice of plumbing as it doesn’t interfere with the UV rays. For the joints, it is Teflon tape or Putty offer amazing solutions. The UV light tube needs to be in an accessible position as it requires a regular change as it can only last for 9000 hours or rough 12 months.
Step 4: Bleaching the Plumbing system
It is important to replace the UV light yearly as it will no longer assure safety after its lifespan. At this point, the tube can’t emit UV light hence rendering the system useless. On the same note, you are required to frequently check on the change of water quality, taste, and color from UV filters that lack monitoring features.
FAQs UV Water Filters
Do you need a UV filter with a well water supply?
How long do UV water filters last?
UV vs RO: Which is better?
Does ultraviolet light kill mold?
Ultraviolet water filters are a good solution when it comes to sanitizing your well water . UV water filters ensure your water is safe to drink especially rainwater and well water since it contains microorganisms. Using a UV filter is an ideal solution better than using chemicals, plus they are easy to maintain and safe. If you’re looking for the best UV filter for well water, you may consider getting one of the products above.
It’s more affordable, and you get a constant supply of water all year round. However, that’s not all you require to make your home comfortable. You need to make sure that the well water is clean and safe for consumption. You can achieve that by installing a water purification system in your home.