I may receive a commission for purchases made through product links on this page, but I always stand by the research and recommendations that I provide here.
The WaterBoss partnered Model 900 Whole House 36,400 Grain Water Softener is an attractive programmable unit suitable for large family homes.
It features 36,400-grain capacity that can soften up to 90 grains per gallon while eliminating up to 10 parts per million (ppm) of harmful iron and sediment.
Undoubtedly, there is no best way to reduce the water hardness apart from the use of Waterboss Water Softener. This product does a fantastic job against the visible impurities in water, sediments, odors, awful taste, and other contaminants.
Unlike other brands in the industry, it is more efficient such that you get not only clean water but also healthy water. In addition to that, it takes less regeneration time as well as less salt and water quantity. That’s the reason we’re reviewing Waterboss 900 water softener.
- Capacity 36,400 grains
- Regeneration 12 to 38 minutes per grain
- Flow rate 8gpm
- No of people up to 4
Waterboss 900 has the highest capacity of grains in comparison to the other listed models from the brand. It has a capacity of 36,400. That’s why it is suitable for families of up to four persons.
Similarly, this unit weighs 105 pounds, and it is 31-inch tall. Due to its compact size and super quiet operating, it is also ideal for small offices. Thus If you have a small office, this unit can provide soft water for more than a week.
Likewise, its compact size doesn’t require complicated installation. It will only take you a few minutes to install, including both resin and salt tanks. Better still, it features an integrated control head into the lid to makes it more comfortable to use.
Sometimes you have a tight budget, and you want to save some money, In that case, WaterBoss 900 will be an excellent choice. It allows for a less regeneration cycle, yet it provides more soft water by eliminating all the harmful elements.
Although the unit uses a demand-based regeneration process, you have the option of selecting the fixed mode if it suits you best.
Better still, a delay setting allows you to ensure that regeneration takes place when you’re not using household water.
You’ll also note that the demand initiated regeneration process prevents salt and water wastage.
We need to mention that this unit is also made in the USA, similar to the other Water Boss water softeners. Without any complicated settings, it allows a more straightforward installing process.
Other than quality, you’ll need to fill it up with 3-6 lbs of salt and 15 to 27 gallons of water. And it will be ready to provide soft water. Furthermore, it also comes with a 10-year warranty as a quality assurance guarantee.
It is easy to install since there are no complex fittings, and setup is easy to accomplish, as explained below in our review. A good example, simply fill it up with salt once the salt levels get depleted and you can use this for the entire year without worrying.
Lastly, the safety shut-off helps prevent the probability of brine tank overflow, while the controller determines the brine refill capacity. Ideally, you don’t need to guess the shut-off time
What we like
- High Efficiency or High Capacity regeneration
- Features on-demand regeneration process
- You can install it DIY-style
- NSF Standard 44 certified for quality assurance
- It quiet during operation
- Its maintenance cost is low
- It’s a more bulky model
- Flimsy connectors
- May not be suitable for chlorinated water supply
Start-up installation and instructions
The unit includes a built-in bypass valve; this makes the installation process as well as operation a breeze. Besides, it also makes servicing and maintenance relatively easy.
What’s more, is that, but don’t have to be a professional plumber to set this unit. All you require is one afternoon if you have everything ready.
We need to mention that before installing this model, ensure you have a drain and a power outlet nearby.
It is also essential that you choose a location close to where the main water line enters your home. This way, you can make sure that all the water in your house gets softened.
Set up process
- Begin by shutting off your water heater and turn off its water supply.
- Close the main water supply valve too
- To drain any remaining water open, both hot and cold water taps then depressurize your plumbing system.
- To connect the water lines, lift and remove the cabinet cover.
- Install the Qest connection fittings noting that they do not require the use of plumber’s putty.
- To ensure there is correct water flow check the arrows on the ports
- Attach the water lines to the appliance carefully without over-tightening the connections on the plastic threads.
- Attach the overflow elbow in the down position and connect 1/2″ tubing (separate) between the overflow fitting and a suitable drain.
- Then connect the drain line (1/2″) to the drain end cap.
- Route the drain line to an appropriate waste receptor while maintaining an air gap.
- Then, place the appliance in the Bypass position and turn on the main water supply.
- Open the nearest cold water outlet to allow the system to flush.
- Place your softener in Service.
- Close all outlets.
- Check all lines and connections to ensure there’re no leaks
- Plug your softener into a power outlet.
- Set up the system using the LCD
- Add about 2 gallons of water into the brine tank.
- Select a manual regeneration cycle. Allow the system to draw water out of the brine cabinet until the air draw tube sets take roughly 10 minutes
- To let tank fill-up press regenerate
- Ensure you fill the brine tank with salt.
- Turn on the power and water supply to the water heater.
- Open a cold water tap and allow the appliance to flush for approximately 20 minutes
- Finally, replace the cabinet cover
The WaterBoss 36,400 Grain is the best product that offers useful features at a reasonable cost
The unit regenerates rapidly additionally with its easy-to-use features. It is the perfect water softener for small families and offices
With this unit water softener, you can program it to use less salt and water for regeneration to enable you to save more.
The 10-year warranty, coupled with the fact that it’s manufactured in the USA, guarantees you that the water softener will last for years without requiring any maintenance.
Overall, we have reviewed through the Waterboss 900 Water Softener. This unit, from design to performance, is the best valued in comparison to other brands. Besides, we have done a thorough research of this unit so that you will make an informed purchase decision.